Pimped Rice Piri Piri
- 280 g long-grain white rice rinsed and drained
- 4 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 red peppers deseeded and sliced
- 2 yellow peppers deseeded and sliced
- 4–8 red chillies sliced (use less or more according to taste)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée or paste
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 3½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- a few coriander leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Put the rice in an even layer in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a high heat and brown the chicken quickly on all sides, then put it on top of the rice in the ovenproof dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onions and garlic. Once softened, add the peppers and the as many of the chillies as you can bear. Fry for 5 minutes over a medium-low heat until the peppers are soft.
- Add the thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée/paste. Stir brieﬂy and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add the stock and red wine vinegar, bring to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Pour this mixture over the chicken and rice. Cover tightly and transfer to the oven for 45 minutes until the rice and chicken are tender. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve warm.
Recipe from Pimp My Rice by Nisha Katona, Hardback £20 published by Watkins Publishing.